Learn how to create and share screencasts and narrated slideshows online using an iPad including recorded audio synchronized to selected photographs or images. We’ll view different examples of student-created narrated slideshows using the iPad and review effective processes for facilitating student narrated slideshows. The primary iPad Applications for creating narrated slideshows we will explore include ShowMe and Explain Everything, but some others may also be included like EduCreations, Ask3, and Haiku Deck.
Welcome from Mr Clifford
Framework and Examples
- Probability by Ben and Jerry on Mathtrain.tv
- How to Measure Liquid on Amy Loeffelholz' ShowMe Channel
- 3rd Grade State Projects (via @JamieiReynolds)
- A Tour of Club Penguin (Example by 9 year old Rachel, recorded with Screenflow on a laptop)
- 60 Minutes Features Khan Academy (March 2012) - Least Common Multiple on KhanAcademy.org
View as a continuum: 5 photo stories
- narrated slideshows / screencasts
- digital storytelling
Think of the media products we'll create this week as WINDOWS into student learning.
Media Product 1: Narrated Slideshow with EduCreations
- Use the free app EduCreations to create a 3 slide narrated slideshow about our cantilver spans activity.
- This sample storyboard (PDF) shows the parts to include: 1) Introductory Slide, 2) Explain what you did, 3) Explain what you learned
- Sign up for our class using this link or the following code: 15918CF (the QR code below takes you to the link)
- Use photos you took of our Cantilever Span project or use photos from these student Flickr albums: April 15 - April 18 - April 22 (take screenshots of images to save them to your iPad camera roll)
- Be sure to choose to PUBLICLY SHARE your finished project in EduCreations.
- Share the link to your finished EduCreations project on our KidBlog site.
- Watch and leave a comment for at least 1 other classmate / workshop participant.
If you are already familiar with the EduCreations App, consider trying another "hosted" app for this assignment like:
TIP: Generally it is NOT recommended to share account credentials with students for a shared class account, on the showme.com website or anywhere else. As discussed in our workshop, if you are using a shared account it's best to enter the account credentials on iPads FIRST so students do not have the login userid and password. If you do share login credentials with a class, consider changing the password afterwards.
Our ShowMe channel for past workshops is www.showme.com/ipadmediacamp
Media Product 2: Favorite Lesson with Explain Everything
- Ejyafjallajokull: Our 6th Grace Science Volcano Project
Favorite Lesson Narrated Slideshow Steps:
- Discuss with a table partner one of your favorite lessons that you've taught in the past.
- Take or collect at least FIVE photos or drawings in Explain Everything about this lesson.
- Use these photos and/or drawings to create a narrated slideshow with "Explain Everything" which explains both the what/how of the lesson as well as WHY it's one of your favorites.
- Save your finished project as a video in your iPad camera roll.
- Share/send your finished video to Wes' iPhone using the free app InstaShare
- View your videos on www.youtube.com/ipadmediacamp after Wes posts them there with YouTube Capture (free)
Afternoon Bonus Task: